For your enjoyment, a new family favourite – Blondies. A relative of brownies, they’re simple to make, tasty & easy to customize.
Choc chips are always a popular addition, but this time I used pistachios. I guarantee they won’t last long!
230 grams butter, melted
1 & 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 & 1/2 cups all-purpose (plain) flour
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 to 1 cup pistachios (or select additions from list below)
- Prepare a slice pan & heat oven to 350°F (or 150°C fan forced)
- Mix melted butter with brown sugar – beat until smooth. Beat in egg and then vanilla.
- Stir in flour. Mix in roughly chopped pistachios or any other additions (below).
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 25 minutes, or until set in the middle. I always err on the side of caution with baking times — nobody ever complained about a gooey-middled cookie. Cool on rack before cutting them.
Further additions, use one or a combination of:
- 1/2 to 1 cup chopped nuts, toasting them first for even better flavor
- 1/2 to 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon mint extract in addition to or in place of the vanilla
- 1/4 cup bourbon, scotch or other whiskey; increase the flour by one tablespoon
- 2 tablespoons of espresso powder with the vanilla
- Stir 1/2 cup dried fruit, especially dried cherries, into the prepared batter
- Top with a vanilla butter cream or chocolate peanut butter cream frosting
(adapted from http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2006/11/blondies-for-a-blondie/)